What to do if the USCIS mailed your Green Card but you never received it?

posted in: Immigration Issues | 0

If this happens to you, please try the following: (1) call the USCIS Contact Center at 1-800-375-5283 or use one of USCIS’ e-tools, including Ask Emma, then (2) contact your local post office and ask them to initiate an investigation. The U.S. Postal Service (USPS) will send you a letter explaining the results of the investigation. If USCIS mailed your card to the address you provided and USPS returned your card to USCIS as undeliverable, you should file a Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) and select the reason as “My previous card was issued but never received” so you will not be required to pay the filing fee. If USPS lost or misdelivered the package, you could reach out to USCIS Ombudman and they may be able to get the USCIS to initiate an investigation on your behalf. Please note that if your card was returned to USCIS as undeliverable, USCIS’ policy is to destroy your card after 60 days.

To obtain additional information on how to contact USCIS, please visit the Tools and Resources page on the USCIS website.

You may register for “Informed Delivery” through USPS to get previews of mail in transit. Please visit USPS’ Informed Delivery page for additional information.

If you need temporary evidence of your current immigration status while waiting to receive a replacement Green Card, the USCIS may issue you an Alien Documentation Identification and Telecommunications (ADIT) stamp. To schedule an appointment with your local USCIS field office to obtain an ADIT stamp, contact the USCIS Contact Center at 1-800-375-5283 (1-800-767-1833 TDD for the hearing impaired).